Black Bean and Rice Stuffed Bell Peppers

Hello!
As we welcome 2018, Mother Nature is busy whipping up winds and chilling cold. I am out at work and have been for the last 9 days now. It is a long haul this month, as it will be 17 days away from my cozy home. Thankfully, I am blessed with a wonderful crew of awesome shipmates. Makes things so much easier.
I love being able to use the ingredients on hand at work to come up with something a little different. Here we use a set menu and are given recipes. Sometimes tough to deal with, I try to do my best with it. I have a beautiful vegetarian co-worker this shift and am having fun with making her meals that suit her needs. It is also nice that others are embracing those foods as well.
I took a bean salad and incorporated it into a 'Bean and Rice Stuffed Pepper' and boy, was it a success! I am probably not the first one to make this, but I am happy I stirred this up and gave it a try!
This is a mix of a couple of recipes, and how you could do this at home for two.



Black Bean and Corn Stuffed Bell Peppers

2 large Bell Peppers, colour of your choice (My favorite is red!)
1/2 cup frozen corn niblets, thawed
1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1 to 2 cups cooked rice (leftover rice pilaf or steamed rice works well)
1 Tbsp finely diced red onion
1 Tbsp finely diced bell pepper
1/3 cup finely chopped tomato
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit.
Line a baking pan or pie plate with foil. Spray with cooking spray.
Wash bell peppers and cut in half, vertically
Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. (This can be done up to a day ahead)
Divide filling between the 4 pepper halves.
Place into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until peppers are slightly browned charred.
*Ifyou would like to add cheese to this, I would recommend topping with a little feta or maybe even mozzarella.*
Serve as a meal or as a side dish!

:)
Give it a try and let me know how you like!

Happy Cooking!
Natasha

Side Note: It won't let me upload the photo...I will try another time.

Comments